Yeah yeah … this chilled mix featuring UNKLE, Injut Boys, DJ Cam and a host of Hardkiss and Sunburn artists is from 1998 but it encapsulates a bygone sound of luscious landscapes, flora and fauna that I still love. You will too!
BPM Records was the primo record store in San Francisco thoughout the ’90s. Originally on Polk Street below 3rd Floor Studios (now Moulton Studios), this was the spot to get all the latest vinyl and hang out with your favorite DJs and producers. The store eventually moved to Hayes Valley preceding the crush of high-end retailers and speciality stores to that are4a.
Endless enjoyable hours were spent with Ishmael and many new music relationships were forged under the shelter of BPM. Icons like Chris Lum and Daniel ‘Drunken Monkey’ Lippencott got their feet wet in this record pool.
Ishmael asked me to take him on a leftfield voyage for the 6th edition in the series of mixes from San Francisco DJs.
Here are some sounds that you don’t hear too often:
1. Oil – Slight Of Hand
2. Cubism – E.V.A. (Sure Is Pure Mix)
3. Howie B. –Switch (Vinyl Blair Reworks 1)
4. Fretless AZM – Gambit (Yes Please)
5. Bonobo – Everything U Do
6. DJ Cam – Twilight Zone
7. UNKLE – Berry Meditation
8. pHrack R – The Beatfreak #1
9. Capoeira Twins – Pig Lick
10. Little Wing – Monkey Junction
11. Trip To Agewood – 5clap2
12. Up, Bustle & Out – Carbine 744,520 … Che Guevara… A Dream Of Land & Freedom
13. Hawke – Vivos En La Muerte
14. Planet’s – Positive Sensation
15. Idjut Boys & Laj – Lacatush
16. Amampondo – Togetherness (Gavin Hardkiss Mix)
17. Hlengani Thomas Maluleka – Ni Pfuleli